Sculpting is fun

Sculpting is fun
My first sculpting project. I'm especially proud of the skin.
Welcome to my page! I'm here to have fun, hope you do as well.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

It's my first day!

So, here goes. It took me a while to find my own address. Oh well, I can always chalk it up to being more of an artist then a techy.
Now, Polymer clay, I love it. Time flies and I have to force myself to do anything else. This morning I wanted to finish a pendant. I foiled some clay, added a stamped design, baked, wrapped and rebaked. It was fine. Now, I like to use embossing powder, the Ultra Thick stuff, to add a top coat to the pendants. It has worked fine in the past. Today, I found the Ultra Thick and instead of using the clear, I used the pearl. Big mistake. I thought I would give it an irredescent shine. Instead it covered the pendant with a white pearl finish. Now mind you that could be ok sometimes but not today. I wanted to see the foil and the stamped image through the embossing powder. Live and learn. Now, I tried to fix it. Sanded it, reheated it. It did give me more of a see through effect but not clear. Too bad, I was happy with that one.
Now, another finished project that turned out better. I call it my Canadian Man. I cut clay in the shape of a maple leaf then cut out an oval from the center. Using an ivory cane I cut out another oval and added some clay to make a nose, eyebrows and a mouth. Sculpted it so it looks like a face. Installed the face in the hole in the leaf. Once baked and cooled, I carved a few lines in the leaf part then painted and removed with black acrylic paint. Looked nice. Using a silver leaf pen I painted the sides and the front with the silver pen. Lovely. Now the varnish is giving me a hard time. I get streaks on the back. It doesn't happen all the time but it's not the first time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment